Nico Rosberg Claims First Career Victory And First Race Win For Mercedes Since 1955

0

Nico Rosberg led the field from start to finish in Shanghai to take his first victory in an electrifying Chinese Grand prix.

The German took the chequered flag ahead of the two McLarens of Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton.

Rosberg capitalised on an incredible qualifying performance on Saturday which saw him place his Mercedes on pole position by a sterling point-five of a second ahead of his team mate Michael Schumacher.

'Nico did a fantastic job — your first pole and first win is and incredible feeling.' - Lewis Hamilton

A perfect start of the line saw him immediately create enough of a distance between him and his team mate Michael Schumacher to ensure his well-earned pole position was retained in the early stages.

Unfortunately, the seven-time world champion had a frustrating day caused by a pit stop error on the 13th lap of the race. The lights indicated for him to leave the pits before the front right wheel nut was fitted.

The mechanic was left smacking the floor in anger as Schumacher left the pit lane only to have to leave the track and retire shortly after when he sensed something was wrong with the car.

Meanwhile, Rosberg took to work distancing himself from the rest of the field in a textbook drive which amassed an astonishing 21 second lead between himself and Button by the end of the race

Whilst Rosberg set to distancing himself from the pack there was exciting wheel-to-wheel racing as the rest of the field battled for championship points.

The Battle between the two Mclarens for second place as they both sliced their way through the field to the front of the pack was eventually won by Button.

Hamilton, Having more traffic to deal with initially, due to a five-place grid penalty on the grid due to a gear-box change, encountered problems when trying to pass Felipe Massa and Sergio Perez easing the pressure on Button.

A bad qualifying session by Redbull driver Sebastian Vettel was made worse at the start of the race, dropping from 11th to 15th after a poor launch and becoming boxed in at the back of the grid.

The German finished 5th just behind his team mate Mark Webber who overtook his team mate on the final lap of the race. The Australian will no doubt be pleased after becoming used to frequently coming second best to the 2011 World Champion.

There was fascinating action over the last few laps of the race, with Kimi Raikkonen, Sebastian Vettel, Webber, Button and Hamilton all in the running for second place.

Rosberg spoke of this memorable victory after 111 grand prix starts:

‘Unbelievable feeling, very cool, very happy, very excited. It’s been a long time coming for me and the team also. It’s amazing, and it’s really nice to see how quickly we are progressing, I didn’t expect to be that fast.’

After the race the points awarded sees Lewis Hamilton lead the championship by two points from Jenson Button. The first three races of the season won by three different drivers from different teams with a field that seems to be much tighter than in previous years.

The Championships travels to the Middle East next week for the controversial Bahrain Grand Prix which should prove vital for the Mclaren team to cement their standings.