BUCS Indoors Athletics Championship 2013 Race Report

0

WSImageOn Friday 22nd February, the Athletics and Cross country club travelled to Sheffield for the Annual Indoor Championships hoping to continue their success from the recent cross country championships.

On the Friday night, Dan Rebolledo and Malcolm Gledhill raced in the 60m. Both ran good races with Malcolm narrowly missing out on the semi-finals.

Saturday brought the heats for many of the Athletes. Jake Bradley ran first in the 1500m, running a sensible race to finish in a personal best time of 4:33.28. (He beat this time on Wednesday while running for the RAF by five seconds).

The 1500m was shortly followed by the heats of the men’s 800m. John Wright raced a great race to finish in 2:00.07; a great time for the winter period, good enough to make the semi-finals.

Neil Woodfine and Emily Bonnet ran next in the 400m. Neil ran a good race however missed out on qualification for the semi-finals. Emily stormed her race to win it comfortably, easing into the semis.

Alex Teuton was up next in the 3000m. He lead his heat up to the last 200m where he was out sprinted into the finish where he still smashed his previous PB by 10 seconds to run a time of 8:31 and qualify for the final.  Sophie Darling also smashed her PB to run a time of 11:00.12.

The men’s 4x200m team won their heat however it was only the fastest six teams who reached the final and the team unfortunately didn’t make it.

The second day brought the heats of the 200m. Dan and Malcolm both ran again and Dan ran a PB as Malcolm also made the semi-final.

John Wright used the semi-final to test his race strategy and went out harder than usual and paid for it, tiring in the last lap but learnt a lot. Emily followed in her 400m semi-final, again winning comfortably and qualifying for the final!

Malcolm ran extremely well in his semi to finish in fourth but not making the final. Alex Teuton followed next in the 3000m final. The pack were almost jogging round for the first 2500m but suddenly kicked; dropping one runner at a time to leave a final three to race for the final 200m  Alex came a very impressive eighth place. Not bad for someone in his first year at the university, so watch out for this name!

Emily was the final person to race on the weekend. She was already guaranteed a top six placing due to the nature of indoor racing. She was in sixth after the first lap of the 200m track, however she showed her hurdles strength to power the last 200m to come in fourth in a very high standard 400m competition!

This, yet again, was the best the team have ever performed at the indoors. Three PBs, three semis and two finals; the team never stops improving. Once again, thanks for the support from everyone in the team to help us get there!

Thanks to Jake Bradley for the race report.

Conquering the world, one sport article at a time.