BUSA Victory for Southampton’s Sailors

0

Written by James O’Mahony

Southampton entered 3 teams for this year’s BUSA Student Yachting Nationals held in Portsmouth and came home with a Championship win for the Red Team and a win for the Blue team in the coastal race.

Southampton's Red team with their medals
Southampton’s Red team with their medals

The last time Southampton won this event was in 2011. A win gains an automatic entry into the Student Yachting World Championship event in France in the Autumn.

The racing started on Monday, April 8. with 2 races. The wind was a strong easterly 15knots with Southampton Red finishing with a 6th and a 1st, Southampton White with a 1st and a 2nd (and a very heavy collision resulting in a new boat for the rest of the racing) and Southampton Blue with a 15th and 12th. After the first day, Southampton White led the championship with Southampton Red coming in 2nd.

The second day saw some lighter winds and three races. Again the Southampton team dominated finishing the day with Southampton Red leading by 8 points, White in 4th  place and Blue in 15th .

The third day consisted of one long coastal race. The race started in Portsmouth in very light winds and was sailed up to Cowes and back. It took 6 hours of intense and close racing with the Red team battling all the time from the back of the fleet to finish with a 12th.  The winner of the this race was Southampton Blue, claiming a well deserved 1st place finish and winning the coastal race trophy.

The last day saw Southampton Red leading the Championship by 2 points in front of Cambridge University and 7 points in front of Portsmouth. Two races were scheduled to take place. In the first race, the wind died leaving the fleet drifting with the tide in the Solent. One race was completed and it left Red clear by 4 points going into the last race. The fleet of 26 yachts waited for the wind to fill in, but the race committee waited for as long as possible before cancelling the last race of the Championship, making Southampton Red the BUCS/BUSA National Champions.

Southampton truly dominated this event, taking 1st place overall and 1st place in the coastal race.

The teams were as followed:

Red

Tactics – Annabel Vose
Helm – Bleddyn Mon
Main – Max Richardson
Trim 1 – Toby Mumford
Trim 2 – James O’Mahony
Pit – Amy Prime
Mast – George Johnson
Bow – George Thompson

White

Tactics – Matt Foz
Helm – James Wilkie
Main – Richard Burrows
Trim 1 – Conrad Manning
Trim 2 – Eric Al
Pit – Jonty Cook
Mast – Lillie Cable
Bow – Dan Saltmarsh

Blue

Tactics – Nick Robson
Helm – James Hayward
Main – William Goldsmith
Trim 1 – Kit Lawson-Johns
Trim 2 – Becky Thomas
Pit – Matt Burleigh
Mast – George Finch
Bow – Kat Burleigh

For the full results table, please see the BUSA Sailing Facebook page.

I come from South West London and am studying English at Southampton. I am interested in journalism and considering it as a career after my degree. I have interests in Sports and Music and have written for a sports magazine called Sportsister before. I am keen to get involved in as much as possible whilst at Uni and writing about my experiences could be a very rewarding thing. :)