Week of Success for Southampton Skunks

0

It’s been a successful weekend for Southampton’s Ultimate Frisbee club at all levels. Match reports come from Matt Edwards:

Mens 1sts

Southampton Ultimate Frisbee club’s first team went into Indoor Regionals in Bristol with high expectations after being seeded top of the South West region. They began brightly, executing a series of well-drilled plays to record a 10-5 win over near-neighbours and 7th seed Bournemouth.

Next up were 5th seed Bristol. Southampton came out of the blocks quickly to build an impressive 9-2 lead. Bristol responded strongly in the latter part of the game, but Southampton held on for a final score of 10-8.

The final game on Saturday was against 3rd seed Cardiff. Once again Southampton started well, not conceding possession for the first ¾ of the game. Cardiff showed signs of revival in the final quarter but it was too little too late as Southampton registered a comfortable 9-3 win to end the day unbeaten.

Sunday morning saw Southampton take on 4th seed Bath. After a shaky start allowed Bath to go 2-1 up, Southampton shifted through the gears, bringing strong defence and pulling off some huge diving catches to win the game 7-5.

The final was between Southampton and Exeter, who had seen off several strong teams to secure their place in the final. Once again Southampton started strongly, getting two points on the board without reply. However Exeter piled on the pressure and quickly got on the front foot, taking the score to 5-3 with only a few minutes left on the clock. Southampton responded with a clinical offence point and were now just a single point behind Exeter as the seconds ticked down. A last ditch diving block stopped Exeter from extending their lead but the second hand dashed Southampton’s chances of taking the game to sudden death. The game finished 5-4 to Exeter, meaning Southampton finished in second place and qualified for Division 1 Nationals.

Video of the final: 

Mens 2nds

Southampton’s second team started the weekend in 9th seed, higher than any other 2nd team afterstrong performances in previous years. They hit the ground running, utilizing a well-drilled zone defence to beat Exeter 3rds 6-2. Southampton again utilized their zone defence and stepped up their overall performance to beat UWE 1sts 11-3. They finished the day unbeaten after a resounding 7-1 win over Bournemouth 2nds. After losing their unbeaten record to Swansea 1sts on Saturday morning, the best finish they could hope for was 9th place. They started well against Cardiff 2nds but play stopped whilst Adrian Bailey was escorted from the field with a broken arm after going for a difficult disc in the end zone. Southampton battled on, finishing a nail biting sudden death point with a great catch to win the game. Southampton finished the tournament in 10th place after a loss to Plymouth 2nds.

Mens 3rds

Southampton’s inexperienced third team, composed mainly of freshers, started the tournament with losses to Plymouth’s and Bristol’s 2nd teams, but these proved to be valuable experience as they went on to thrash Winchester’s 2nds 12-0. Subsequent narrow losses to fellow beginners teams Bristol 3rds and Exeter 3rds again served as excellent proving grounds, leading to a very impressive win against much higher seeded Bournemouth 2nds which clearly demonstrated the improvement made by the team. Southampton’s weekend finished on a high with another win over Winchester 2nds leaving the team 2nd highest of the 3rd teams.

All in all a successful weekend for Southampton’s Ultimate Frisbee club, with the 1sts qualifying for Division 1 Nationals, the 2nds finishing strongly, and the 3rds showing huge improvement after their first tournament together.

Women’s Team

Southampton’s Ultimate Frisbee club took a relatively inexperienced team consisting mainly of freshers to Women’s Indoor Regionals in Cardiff last weekend. An easy first game against Cardiff 2nds allowed Southampton to get used to playing together, focusing on hard running and offensive plays, which resulted in a very comfortable 7-0 win.

Some textbook end zone plays (practised between games) coupled with aggressive defence paid off against Swansea as Southampton stormed to an 11-3 win.

The next game saw Southampton take on a very experienced Exeter side. Southampton lagged behind on defence and made several unforced drops, allowing Exeter to take the game 8-3.

A comprehensive 11-0 win against Plymouth 2nds preceded a hard fought game against Bristol. Strong defence by both teams resulted in numerous changes in possession, but Bristol’s experience eventually translated to points on the scoreboard, with the game finishing 5-2 to Bristol.

Southampton needed to beat hosts Cardiff to be in with a chance of qualifying for nationals. From the start it was clear Southampton’s coolness in possession had improved dramatically from previous games. However, despite the hospitalization of Cardiff’s best player during the first point, their pace allowed them to pull away and win the game 4-1.

Southampton took their improved form into subsequent games, beating Swansea 8-4 and Exeter 2nds 10-0 to finish the tournament in 5th place. Despite missing out on a place at Nationals, Southampton can now take a very strong team of much improved players to Outdoor Regionals in 2014.

If any sports captains would like their match reports published online, please contact sports@wessexscene.co.uk with details.

Professional moaner and student of Politics.

Twitter – JTaylor704