Success for Southampton University Boat Club

0

Sport Editor Jack Pethick reviews SUBC’s success at the South Coast University Varsity Head Race.

Southampton University’s Boat Club enjoyed some success last weekend as they were the most successful crew at the South Coast University Varsity Head Race. The event saw Southampton take on the likes of Bournemouth, Southampton Solent and Portsmouth University in a variety of rowing events.

The competition saw SUBC’s crews winning all but one event they entered with a second place finish in the only event they did not win. SUBC’s senior men’s 8 were the fastest crew of the day and also SUBC’s senior women’s 8 were the fastest women’s crew of the day. Overall SUBC took first place in 6 boat classes, an incredible achievement.

Although all the crews were fantastic on the day, the stand-out performers for SUBC were the women’s novice 8 who won their race by a massive 2 minutes 44 seconds: by far the biggest winning margin of the day.

The team worked hard in terms of preparation for the tournament. On a typical basis SUBC’s crews were generally going out on the water five times a week and undertaking another five or more land training sessions in the gym. In total the team generally trains up to around 10-12 hours per week, a huge total. SUBC hope they can continue this form in the build up to the Varsity Competition with Portsmouth in just over a months time.

See the full results in detail at http://www.subc.co.uk/head-race/results/

Jack Pethick. Sport Editor 2014-2016. Third-Year History student. Mainly write for the Sport section but dabble in writing News and Features. General Armchair pundit and lover of all things Sport. #WouldDoABetterJobThanCarragher