VARSITY 2015: Magic comes to Varsity

0

For the first time in the competition’s history, the Southampton vs Portsmouth Varsity tournament will host a Quidditch match. In fact, it will be the second ever Varsity Quidditch match after the Cambridge vs Oxford match which occurred just before Christmas. Sport Editor Jack Pethick interviews SQC Club Captain Simon Bidwell on his views for what will be an historic day for the club.

Jack:

So Simon, It’s the first time that Southampton and Portsmouth have held a Varsity Quidditch match and indeed it’s the second varsity game ever in Quidditch following the Oxford Cambridge game just before Christmas. You must feel both immensely proud yet nervous going into the game?

Simon:

I’m immensely proud of how far our club has come this year; before the start of freshers’ week we had at most 20 members and we’ve since grown to be the biggest club in the country. We’re now just about to take part in our very first varsity match, but nervous? Not a chance. Portsmouth won’t score a hoop on us.

Jack:

Will you prepare any differently for this game?

Simon:

Our club features some members from Southampton Solent and also the community, so we will be missing some of our usual players but it won’t affect our preparation. If anything we might have a bit of a relaxing week before Varsity because it comes the week after our national competition, the British Quidditch Cup, in Nottingham.

Jack:

Who are the key players we can look out for on the day?

Simon:

Vice-Captain Ollie Craig is definitely one to look out for. Despite having spent a year out of Quidditch in France last year, he’s proving to be one of the best players in the UK and a potential team UK player for this summer’s European Games. Our fresher social-sec Fraser Posford can score hoops all day long, Aaron Veale is a Portsmouth boy, now playing for Southampton and Alex Carpenter is the fastest person in UK Quidditch. We’re pretty stacked.

Jack:

Sum up what Varsity means or represents to you in three words.

Simon:

Southampton crushing Portsmouth.

Jack:

Have you ever played Portsmouth Quidditch club before? And if so, what was the result?

Simon:

No we haven’t! I am excited to see Portsmouth play actually, because this won’t just be the first time we’ve played them, it will be their first ever Quidditch match! Despite all of the bravado, I am extremely excited to welcome them to the community and I can’t wait for them to grow as a team and become a bigger part of Quidditch in the UK.

However, because this is Varsity, we won’t be going lightly on them and their introduction to Quidditch is going to be a crushing, demoralising defeat at the hands of their local rivals.

SQC will be taking on Portsmouth in the Varsity tournament on Sunday 15th March at the University of Portsmouth. See the SUSU box office for details on how to get tickets and support Team Soton!

Jack Pethick. Sport Editor 2014-2016. Third-Year History student. Mainly write for the Sport section but dabble in writing News and Features. General Armchair pundit and lover of all things Sport. #WouldDoABetterJobThanCarragher