Murray wins fourth Queens title

Andy Murray has won his fourth Queens Club title, equaling the record held by players such as Boris Becker and Andy Roddick for most titles at the historic club.

Murray, who was top seed in the draw, faced South African Kevin Anderson in the final, and it took just over an hour for Murray to dispatch his opponent in a straight sets victory. In what was his first grass court final on the ATP Tour, Anderson maintained the excellent serving that he had demonstrated throughout the week, passing 100 aces in the match, yet that still was not enough to outdo Murray who is known on the tennis circuit for being one of the game’s greatest returners. Murray displayed a collection of shots, mixing up cross court lobs with volleys and the occasional drop shot, all being played with pin point accuracy and never allowing Anderson a chance into the match. If this was Murray sending a message to his opponents ahead of Wimbledon, then he has made it clear that he is ready to fight for his third grand slam title.

Murray never looked less than brilliant all week, and only dropped one set in the week, to Gilles Muller in the quarter final. However, it was the semi final which turned out to be the most dramatic match of the week for Murray. His opponent in the semi final, Viktor Troicki, suffered a nasty fall as Murray had a break point in the 7th game of the first set, and after a medical time out delayed proceedings, rain caused the match to be suspended until Sunday morning, meaning the winner of the semi final would be back on court just hours later to face Anderson in the final. This did not deter Murray, who quickly broke in the first set and then won the second set in a tie break to take him to the final.

Although all the focus had been on Murray this week, there were other well known players in the draw including then French Open winner Stan Wawrinka, last year’s winner Grigor Dimitrov and fan favourite Rafa Nadal. However, these players did not make it past the second round, with Nadal being beaten in his first match by Ukrainian player Alexandr Dolgopolov. Murray was always a favourite to win the tournament but after these players fell, he became the firm favourite to win on a court where he had won 3 titles before.

Murray’s fourth title at Queens bodes well for Wimbledon; the last time Murray won the title he went on to win Wimbledon, and with an extra week this year between the Queens Championships and Wimbledon, Murray has more time to hone his skills even more, with his pregnant coach Amelie Mauresmo returning especially for Wimbledon to work alongside current coach Jonas Bjorkman.