The Premier League’s Best Summer Transfers

With the summer transfer window for the Premier League well and truly closed, and the new season in full swing, it means the 20 teams that comprise the league must stumble or succeed through to the new year with their current cohorts. From Anthony Martial and Raheem Sterling joining new clubs to David De Gea and Sadio Berahino doing anything but that, the transfer deadline has been reached and this window proved the most expensive ever, with a whopping £870 million spent by Premier League clubs. But which teams completed the best deals over the summer? 

Petr Cech – Chelsea to Arsenal 

The Czech Republic international may have been Arsene Wenger’s only signing of the sumCechmer, but with a wealth of experience and reputation behind the Czech, the longest-serving manager in the league has certainly improved his man between the sticks. After keeping a club record 220 clean sheets with the current champions, Cech has arrived at Arsenal and comfortably taken the goalkeeping position in the starting XI. Whether this is a reflection of Arsenal’s failure in Europe or Petr’s successful career, the new signing is now the only winner of the Champions League in Wenger’s squad for this season’s competition.

Andre Ayew – Marseille to Swansea City

The 25-year-old follows in the footsteps of many positive additions to the Swansea side – Sigurdsson and Michu are are a couple who fall into this category. An attacking player who, in just his first few games, has impressed with not only his movement and creativity but also goals. He has scored against Chelsea, Newcastle and Manchester United already. The Ghanaian arrived in Wales on a free transfer from Ligue 1 and therefore seems like a good bit of business for Gary Monk’s side. Currently sitting in a Champions League spot with a lot of the season still to come, only time will tell if Ayew can maintain this form and help Swansea earn their highest Premier League finish ever.

Yohan Cabaye – Paris Saint-Germain to Crystal PalaceCabaye

Certainly one of the more surprising transfers of the summer, Alan Pardew has brought French international Cabaye back to the Premier League. The two – who were together at Newcastle before the central midfielder signed for PSG – have reunited at Crystal Palace who are flying high so far this season. Most fans of the league will be aware of Cabaye’s talent and know that he will undoubtedly strengthen a Palace side that will be aiming to finish in the top-half of the table. A central midfielder with nearly 40 appearances for his national side and a goal on his Palace debut away to Norwich City – he is certainly a signing the fans are happy with.

Nathaniel Clyne – Southampton to Liverpool

Liverpool have brought in a number of players this summer – Benteke, Firmino, Ings and Milner to name a few – but the signing of a full-back must have been one of Brendan Rodgers’ priorities. From difficulties with Glen Johnson and the less-than-adequate Javier Manquillo, the right-back position was certainly a weak spot for the Merseyside team. As a result, the signing of a relatively young and yet experienced player, who has made the England squad for the upcoming European Qualifiers, was a good move for the ex-Swansea City boss. Liverpool fans are hoping Clyne will solidify the position for many years to come and be part of a more well-constructed defensive unit.

Memphis Depay – PSV to Manchester UnitedDepay

With Robin Van Persie departing Old Trafford and Radamel Falcao now plying his trade at Chelsea, the Red Devils were in need of additions to their attacking arsenal. After playing under Louis van Gaal at last summer’s World Cup, Depay made the move to Manchester to rejoin the charismatic coach. Known simply as Memphis, the winger scored 50 goals in 124 games in all competitions for PSV Eindhoven and should liven up the Premier League this season. With Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin providing some class and stability to the United team, van Gaal and the fans will be hoping for some flair from Depay.

Dimitri Payet – Marseille to West Ham UnitedPAYET

The Hammers are currently in the midst of a Bilic seizure of power. The Croatian manager is leading a drastic programme of reform and was one of the lead stories on Deadline Day when he brought in four players in the final 24 hours. But it was one of his earlier signings – who he spent an alleged £10.7 million on – that has really caught the attention of pundits and fans alike. Another central midfielder, the Frenchman will certainly be a leader in the team after spells at numerous clubs in his native land. With an assist against Arsenal on the opening weekend and a goal against Leicester City six days later, Payet seems to have certainly added something to East London.

A special mention has to be given to the team that has made the strongest start to the season – Manchester City. After splashing the cash on Raheem Sterling, Kevin De Bruyne and Nicolas Otamendi, the 2012 and 2014 Premier League champions look like title favourites already.

But how successful will all of these transfers be? Only time will tell.

More articles in Trend Report
  1. Refugee Crisis: More To Be Done Following Europe’s Show of Heart
  2. Violence, Sensationalist Reporting And Copycats
  3. The Premier League’s Best Summer Transfers
  4. A War Against The Working Class? It Seems So
  5. Should The Glamorisation of Skin Pigmentation Disorders Be Celebrated?
  6. World Cup Warm-Up: Ireland Overcome A Resilient Scotland in Dublin
  7. To Drink Or Not To Drink? Have A Fantastic Freshers Either Way!
  8. Dehumanisation And The Calais Crisis
  9. Pride, Points and Places… England’s European Football Dilemma?
  10. The UK Must Address Its Own Race and Police Brutality Issue
  11. Home Secretary Rejects Water Cannon Use
  12. On the Problem of Guns, America’s Present is Hindered by its Past
  13. Wimbledon 2015: Winners and Losers
  14. Removing The Confederate Flag Is Just The First Step
  15. I’m Not a Feminist.
  16. Africa: The Forgotten Land
  17. New Era for British Politics: Uncertain Times
  18. 5 Life Lessons From The Walking Dead
  19. Cancer Cells: Starving them Out
  20. Iran and Saudi Arabia: The Next Chapter in the Middle East
  21. 2015 Grad Ball Fashion Fix: Dresses Through the Ages
  22. A Pointless Debate?
  23. Ukraine Crisis: Are We On The Wrong Side?
  24. Trend Report: Seventies
  25. Cocktails at Home: Layering and Sex on the Beach
  26. Parliamentary Candidates Interview: UKIP’s Pearline Hingston