Top Ten Sports to Experiment with During Freshers

We’ve all dabbled in a bit of sport, some more than others. Whether it be through the grinning and bearing of P.E lessons in secondary school or if you’ve spent your life convincing yourself that your impressive Sunday League performances will one day earn you an International call-up, you’re likely to have registered some sort of attempt at sport prior to University.

For those of you that have never considered yourself to be the ‘sporty type’ – maybe you just haven’t found the right one! Here is a list of sports that you may not have been aware of, or ever had the opportunity to try before. For you seasoned pros – a chance to escape your comfort zone and challenge yourself to do something new that you might well love. You’ll probably be doing a lot of that this year anyway.

It’s simple really. Dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge. You’ve seen the film, you know how it works. So why not try it out? If you’re looking for a club where it’s as much about having a laugh with friends as it is about serious competition, then SUDBC is the place to go. As far as the game itself goes, it’s fantastic to be involved in. There’s no escaping the action. Eliminate all members of the other team by throwing balls at them; it’s deeply satisfying in a sort of sadistic kind of way.

Ultimate Frisbee

Recently granted full recognition by the International Olympic Committee, this is competitive sport at its most unique. Two teams of seven trade possession of a Frisbee, with the aim being to have the Frisbee received beyond the goal line in the end zone. Players are unable to take any steps whilst carrying the Frisbee and a turnover of possession can result from interceptions, incomplete passes, or passes out of bounds. A particularly brilliant feature of the sport is the ‘lay out’, in which players dive at full stretch in order to catch or intercept the disc. Remarkable scenes. Pop along to a Skunks training session to see for yourself.

This is where the real magic happens. Mystically transported from the skies of Hogwarts to the University of Southampton, the International Quidditch Association have created a highly competitive, full contact and mixed gender sport to be played on the ground. The fantasy played over and over in the heads of Harry Potter fanatics is well and truly attainable. Besides the awesomeness of the sport itself, Southampton are British Quidditch Champions!

Essentially five-a-side football, but also so much more. Played indoors on a hard surface with a smaller and heavier ball, Futsal places its emphasis on improvisation and creativity. The intensity and speed of the game is exhilarating. First touch is crucial, as you won’t get an awful lot of time on the ball. It’s a brilliant way to improve skill, close control and work in tight spaces. Pelé, Ronaldinho, Messi and Ronaldo amongst many others all played Futsal in their youth, if that’s anything to go on. Get in touch with the Futsal Club for more.

And breathe. One for the thrill seekers. Fear of death might be slightly off putting for some. There’s a superb slogan floating around on one of the Skydive hoodies that reads: ‘If at first you don’t succeed, then skydiving isn’t for you.’ On the contrary though, all the appropriate training is on offer and students of any experience are invited to join the surreal world of competitive skydiving. There aren’t too many sensations quite like this and it’s available right at your doorstep.

A bit like Netball and Basketball, this mixed gender sport is well worth a go. Whilst a lot of the players in the NBA are knocking on the door of 7ft, Korfball is designed to prevent physical prowess from dominating the game. The rules encourage fast movement, with attackers unable to forge an attempt on the basket if an opponent stands between them and the target. Males can only mark other males, while the same rules obviously apply for females. Keep an eye out for the Southampton Spartans.

One of the more recognisable sports on this list, probably because Great Britain are actually decent at this one. Never rowed before? Not a problem. The Boat Club will be able to draft you into one of their Novice squads at a level which suits you. It’s no secret that rowers tend to be amongst the fittest athletes in sport, so get ready for some serious training. The senior teams train upwards of 12 times a week. Blimey.

Ditch the treadmill and join the party. Zumba is an excellent way to incorporate exercise into your student routine whilst still having a wicked time. It’s like Oceana but healthy. Music blares as you are led through choreography from genres such as hip-hop, soca, samba, salsa, merengue and mambo. Squats and lunges are prominent as you dance through the hour in sync with your fellow classmates. If you’re looking for a fun way to keep fit, this is a terrific option.

A traditional and very popular University sport. Another team sport that’s great for socialising – men’s, women’s and mixed squads are all available. Like many sports, the objective is to stick the ball in the opposition net. The catch, however, is that you have to use the lacrosse stick to do so. With it being a contact sport, this can get quite tasty. Both beginners and advanced players are welcome, so it really is open to everyone.

The rules are very similar to Paintball, which is also on offer, but AirSoft carries an edge. It is designed to be more of a military simulation game, with replicas of real world firearms packed with 6mm plastic pellets. This allows for play to take place in venues such as abandoned shopping malls and World War Two bunker complexes. It’s actually less painful than Paintball as well! Although the events are competitive, the main idea is to enjoy yourself and meet like-minded people.

Details of all the Clubs and Societies on offer and how to sign up can be found at