City Get Their Man

0

After months of rumours and speculation circling within the press, the worst kept secret in football has been confirmed after Manchester City announced earlier this week that Manuel Pellegrini will step down at the end of the season with Pep Guardiola replacing him. The news undoubtedly will come as a disappointment for the likes of Chelsea and Manchester United who were all also reportedly interested in bringing in Guardiola for the 2016/2017 season.

The renowned manager’s appointment has been met with jubilation by City fans, with many pundits already speculating that his appointment as manager could see Manchester City dominate English football for the foreseeable future, as well as allow City to be real contenders for future Champion’s League competitions. However, although the reception of Guardiola has been nothing but positive, one can not help but feel a little bit sorry for current manager Manuel Pellegrini, especially as the club are still in all possible competitions, reaching the final of the League Cup last month.

In addition, the appointment of Guardiola has left the potential future of many current Manchester City players in doubt, with the likes of Yaya Toure and David Silva already being tipped to depart the club in the summer due to the fact they do not fit in with the style of football Guardiola will most likely implement. However, many City fans are a lot more excited about who could be coming into the club rather than leaving it. Guardiola’s appointment has lead to several newspapers claiming that top name players could now be attracted to City due to Guardiola’s appointment, with many claiming the likes of Paul Pogba, Robert Lewandowski and even five time ballon d’or winner Lionel Messi could be arriving at the Etihad in the summer with Guardiola.

Whatever Guardiola’s appointment brings, pundits and footballs fans alike will be eager to see how and even if he can replicate his success via domination within England, especially after Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp commented that Pep Guardiola could be in for a bit of a shock should he manage in the Premier League earlier this month.

He’s done it in Spain, he’s done it in Germany, England should be a walk in the park for the Pep then, right?

Jack Pethick. Sport Editor 2014-2016. Third-Year History student. Mainly write for the Sport section but dabble in writing News and Features. General Armchair pundit and lover of all things Sport. #WouldDoABetterJobThanCarragher