January Transfer Window: Who’s Done The Best Business? (A-L)

0

With the closing of the January transfer window, Sport Editor Jack Pethick grades each team’s business in the window, and how it could help them achieve a place at the top or help them survive the drop. This is the first installment of the mini-series, covering Arsenal to Liverpool.

Arsenal

In: Mohamed Elneny – FC Basel – Undisclosed

Out: Glen Kamara – Southend – Loan, Yaya Sanogo – Charlton – Loan, Mathieu Debuchy – Bordeaux – Loan

Grade: C+

Although Elneny is a good signing for Arsenal, I couldn’t help but feel that that this was a window in which they could have made a statement of intent. If Olivier Giroud gets injured, then can they really rely on Theo Walcott to provide the goals? I know that they have a few players coming back from injury now who could perhaps help this problem, but if they had signed a world-class centre forward this window, I would have put them as a certainty for the title.

Aston Villa

In: None

Out: Gary Gardner – Nottingham Forest – Loan, Joe Cole – Coventry – Free, Callum Robinson – Preston – Loan, Joe Bennett – Sheffield Wednesday – Loan, Jed Steer – Huddersfield – Loan, Philippe Senderos – Released, Jose Angel Crespo – Rayo Vallecano – Released

Grade: C

Aston Villa have seemed to have accepted the inevitable, and this is reflected by their lack of business this window. They can’t afford to add any more players if they are indeed to go down, and they have already started cutting the wage bill. I can’t blame Remi Garde for doing this particularly; he has done an amicable job, considering the situation he was left with.

Bournemouth

In: Juan Iturbe – Roma – Loan, Benik Afobe – Wolves – Undisclosed (reported £10m), Lewis Grabban – Norwich – £7m, Marius Adamonis – FK Atlantas – Loan, Rhoys Wiggins – Sheffield Wednesday – Undisclosed

Out: Jayden Stockley – Exeter – Loan, Yann Kermorgant – Reading – Undisclosed, Elliott Ward – Blackburn – Undisclosed, Lee Tomlin – Bristol City – Loan

Grade: A

Bournemouth are going for it. Benik Afobe, although bought from a Championship side, is a top top player. I was surprised when Arsenal let him go to Wolves, because I really think he has all the attributes to become a good goalscorer. If he scores 7 goals plus in the next month and keeps Bournemouth up, then Eddie Howe will be seen to have done a shrewd bit of business.

Chelsea

In: Alexandre Pato – Corinthians – Loan, Matt Miazga – New York Red Bulls – Undisclosed

Out: Papy Djilobodji – Werder Bremen – Loan, Alex Kiwomya – Fleetwood – Loan, Christian Atsu – Malaga – Loan, Ramires – Jiangsu Suning – £25m, Patrick Bamford – Norwich – Loan, Marco van Ginkel – PSV – Loan

Grade: C

Being an interim manager and achieving the top four being a long shot now, I don’t think Gus Hiddink was given a lot of money by Mr Abramovich, and understandably so. Miazaga is a relatively unknown quantity, but could potentially be one for the future, especially as it seems John Terry will be departing in the summer. The Pato signing for me is a strange one; he had one good season at AC Milan and hasn’t done a lot since. They’ve basically done a like-for-like swap in getting rid of Falcao for Pato.

Crystal Palace

In: Emmanuel Adebayor – Unattached

Out: Jack Hunt – Sheffield Wednesday – Undisclosed, Jonny Williams – MK Dons – Loan, Jake Gray – Huddersfield – Loan

Grade: C

I was tempted to give Palace a B here, but with Adebayor, you never know what you are going to get. He could go and get 10 goals or so for them for what remains of the season, but at the same time, he could do nothing but disturb the Palace dressing room. Palace are all but safe, though, so they didn’t need to do too much this window.

Everton

In: Shani Tarashaj – Grasshoppers Zurich – Undisclosed, Matthew Fouldes – Bury – Undisclosed, Oumar Niasse – Lokomotiv Moscow – £13.5m

Out: Liam Walsh – Yeovil – Loan, Steven Naismith – Norwich – £8.5million, Jonjoe Kenny – Oxford – Loan, Aiden McGeady – Sheffield Wednesday – Loan, Conor McAleny – Wigan – Loan

Grade: C

Everton’s business this window was a bit strange for me; I think Stephen Naismith is a good player, and often scores goals in big games. To replace him for a relatively unknown player in Oumar Niasse seems a strange decision. Like with Palace, though, they are safe for the season and, therefore, didn’t need to buy too much.

Leicester City:

In: Demarai Gray – Birmingham – £3.7m, Daniel Amartey – Copenhagen – Undisclosed – reported £6m, Daniel Iversen – Esbjerg – Undisclosed

Out: Joe Davis – Fleetwood – Loan, Alie Sesay – Barnet – Undisclosed, Andrej Kramaric – Hoffenheim – Loan, Jak McCourt – Barnsley – Undisclosed, Tom Lawrence – Cardiff – Loan, Ritchie De Laet – Middlesbrough – Loan

Grade: C+

Why change a winning squad? Leicester have a good squad of players, so I understand why Claudio Ranieri didn’t want to splash the cash too much this window. The addition of Demarai Gray should prove to be a good one – definitely one for the future.

Liverpool:

In: Marko Grujic – Red Star Belgrade – £5.1m (loaned back to Red Star for the rest of the season), Steven Caulker – QPR – Loan

Out: Ryan Fulton – Portsmouth – Loan, Allan – Sint-Truiden – Loan

Grade: C

I think Jurgen Klopp knows that Liverpool realistically are not going to make the top four this window, and therefore, will be looking to just get this season out of the way and really build a side that he wants in the summer. The acquisition of Steven Caulker is a strange one, though.

More articles in January Transfer Window Review
  1. January Transfer Window: Who’s Done The Best Business? (A-L)
  2. January Transfer Window: Who’s Done The Best Business? (M-Z)

Jack Pethick. Sport Editor 2014-2016. Third-Year History student. Mainly write for the Sport section but dabble in writing News and Features. General Armchair pundit and lover of all things Sport. #WouldDoABetterJobThanCarragher