Varsity 2016: VP Sport Jamie Wilson

0

In the build up to this weekends Varsity competition, Sport Editor, Jack Pethick, interviews VP Sports Development, Jamie Wilson, to get his views on the biggest fixture for Team Southampton this year. 

How excited are you for Varsity? Are there any exciting things planned for the day?

I am really excited to for the day.  There is so many different sports competing on the day, from Quidditch to Ultimate Frisbee, so make sure you check as many of them out as you can.  There is also going to be live music in the Stags from 12 noon, so make sure you head over and check that out as well.

How proud are you of AU efforts both on and off the field this year as we go into Varsity? Are there any particular highlights?

I am extremely proud of the efforts of Team Southampton this last year or so.  There have been many fantastic achievements this year, notably Rhys Gray winning the BUCS individual trampolining competition, the Korfball team winning their BUCS nationals and the Mens 1st  basketball winning the conference cup final recently. As well as this, there have been more teams in the premiership than ever before this year, and more teams than ever guaranteed playoffs for promotion.

I’m also extremely proud to be leading the efforts of the Rainbow Laces Campaign to support LGBT athletes. The Campaign has been a huge success across the AU, with over 1200 laces being purchased so far.

How confident are you that Team Southampton will win, particularly in front of the home crowd?

I am very confident that Team Southampton will retain the Varsity Cup this year.  We go into the day with a 28-12 advantage [From the matches such as American Football which have already taken place before Sunday], and I am sure that we will extend this lead even further during the day.  You can keep up to date with the score by following @sotonvarsity which will be posting results and hourly score updates, and of course with the Wessex Scene too!

Are there any teams you will be keeping a particularly close eye on on the day?

All of the matches will be fantastic to watch, but the Mens First Team Rugby will be an incredibly close and physical match.  The first team netball match will also be a really good game to catch as Southampton have gone undefeated in their league so far and have a goal difference of 300!

More articles in Varsity 2016
  1. Varsity 2016: Rugby
  2. Varsity 2016: Basketball
  3. Varisty 2016: Ultimate Frisbee
  4. Varsity 2016: Quidditch
  5. Varsity 2016: Hockey
  6. Varsity 2016: VP Sport Jamie Wilson

Jack Pethick. Sport Editor 2014-2016. Third-Year History student. Mainly write for the Sport section but dabble in writing News and Features. General Armchair pundit and lover of all things Sport. #WouldDoABetterJobThanCarragher