Wimbledon 2016: Women’s Roundup

0

In a tournament that was dominated by Serena William’s return to winning ways and in doing so reaching that elusive 22nd grand slam there was still room for plenty action throughout the two weeks of play at Wimbledon.

The biggest story of the two weeks will surely be Serena Williams defending her Wimbledon crown after missing out on the Calendar Grand Slam in the USA and then falling short in France and Australia. And she did it in style, only dropping one set the entire championships to fellow American, McHale, in the second round.

The title wasn’t a guaranteed thing though. She had to overcome 4th seed, Angelic Kerber, who had found some impressive form coming into 2016. Just earlier that year, in Australia, Kerber and Williams met in the final and this time Kerber came out on top, winning her first grand slam title. However, this time around the roles would be reversed as Williams looked comfortable playing on arguably the greatest stage of them all, winning the match in straight sets 7-5, 6-3. It wasn’t a walkover, Kerber made a good fight over ever point but she never looked like breaking William’s serve at any point in the match.

The victory gave Williams her 22nd grand slam title, equal with tennis legend Steffi Graf and only 2 behind the most decorated tennis player of all time, Margret Court. One can only feel that Williams will be holding that title very soon.

When asked about whether she considers herself “one of the greatest female athletes of all time” she responded with:

“I prefer the words ‘one of the greatest athletes of all time.” – Serena Williams

And rightly so.

Hours after winning the Women’s title, Serena then joined her sister, Venus, on centre court and claimed the Women’s Doubles title once again in straight sets. A just reward for Venus’ efforts to return to full fitness following a tough career of illness and injury. She will also be very happy with her return to the semi-finals, the first time in seven years.

Murray’s success in the men’s couldn’t be replicated by the British women this year but there are still a number of positives to take from the womens performances’. Johanna Konta, the new British number 1, was the first British women to be seeded in 30 years being seeded 16th. She won her first match at Wimbledon in straight sets against Monica Puig but then lost in the second round to 2014 finalist, Eugenie Bouchard.

Heather Watson, the former British number 1, was knocked out in the first round of the Women’s division but had great success in the mixed division with tennis partner, Henri Kontinen. They advanced to the finals and then went on to win 7-6(7-5), 6-4. This would be the first ever mixed title for Watson and she becomes the first Brit to manage such a feat since 2007.

Overall the tournament was a thrilling one to watch, even with the British weather trying its best to disrupt proceedings. I once again found myself wishing that women play five set matches to give us more tennis to watch but that is a discussion for another today. At the moment it’s time to reflect on a great two week of tennis and to revel in the making of history by truly one of the greatest athletes of all time.