Wimbledon 2016: Men’s Roundup

0

With one of the big four tennis events of the yearly calendar reaching its’ climax on Sunday afternoon, it’s time to look back at some of the best and worst moments of Wimbledon 2016 for the Men’s Singles Tournament.

All eyes were on the top three male seeds in the tournament; Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray and Roger Federer. For these three players, this was one of the big titles of the year that they wanted their names on – not to mention the £2million prize money that comes with the Grand Slam title.

The first round saw Andy Murray knock out fellow Brit Liam Broady in straight sets- some great exposure for young Broady who has many years of great tennis ahead of him.

Djokovic and Federer also cruised through the first round of the tournament making it seem like we were going to be watching a final involving two of the top three in the final.

The first big shock of the tournament came in the third round of the tournament when the 28 Seed Sam Querrey managed to knock out reigning champion Djokovic in four sets.

Roger Federer and Andy Murray had some easy matches up until the quarters. At this point, it felt certain that the two of them would be the final two.

Roger-Federer-round-3-Wimbledon-2016-Getty-380
Source Getty Images.

It was also becoming clear who other contenders for the title could be. Sam Querrey obviously, was flying up the list of people likely to make the final after knocking out Djokovic but other players to keep tabs on were Milos Raonic, Tomas Berdych and Jo-Wilfred Tsonga.

By the time the semi-finals came around we were left with Andy Murray playing Tomas Berdych and Roger Federer playing Milos Raonic. In a surprising turn of events, Federer’s match was an enduring five sets that lasted for hours. It concluded in a victory for the young Raonic, who was going to find himself in his second final within a three week period after facing off and losing to Andy Murray in the final of Queen’s earlier in June. Roger Federer was showing his age throughout the course of the tournament, with the resurfacing of an old back injury causing him issues during many games.

On the other hand, Andy Murray’s semi-final match was rather dull and boring in comparison. He managed to win in straight sets and so was easily the favourite of the tournament at this point.

The day of finals came around and Murray was in a world of his own. Raonic tried his best to fight against Murray and put up a good fight and a good show for the crowd but ultimately the experience and the home crowd cheering him on led to a second Wimbledon victory for Andy Murray and a nice cold ice bath with the trophy when it was over.

AndyMurrayWimbledon2016

So it’s time to put away the strawberries and cream and wait for the next year to pass so we can have another quality two weeks of tennis. Centre Court will definitely be going through some serious TLC over the next twelve months!

Online Manager 2016-17. Physics with Astronomy Student.