Ice Hockey: Solent Devils Lose Season Opener 4-3

0

The Solent Devils lost their opening game of the season in a tightly fought battle against the current champions, Chelmsford Chieftains 3-4 (the Solent Devils are the areas ice hockey team, not to be confused with the Solent University teams).

There were plenty of positives to take from the game, with a top effort from the Devils’ goalie, Christian Cole, who put in a 43 save performance, showing just how attritional the game was to make that many saves and still lose.

Another main talking point for the Devils is that of Richard Facey. Facey was the Devils’ top points scorer last season registering 14 goals and 27 assists in 35 games, a rate of 1.17PPG. Three weeks prior to the start of the season it was announced that he would be returning to the team, once again acting as an alternative captain and donning his former junior number, number 28. The signing is already paying dividends as he has already notched up 1 goal in last Saturdays game, while Kyle David Goddard and Mathew Lawday claimed the other two.

One area that is definitely going to need some work going forward is going to be the power play which saw them register a dismal 0/6 as well as the fact that they conceded a power play goal themselves. In close games such as these, the penalties can be the deciding factor and it’s going to be crucial get this in order. The Devils also gave away a too many men on the ice penalty in the last 5 minutes of the game, seriously dampening their chances of getting the tying goal.

The Solent Devils are on the road once again on Sunday as they take on the Invicta Dynamos before they finish their road trip against the Bracknell Hornets on the 1st of October. These two games should be interesting just for the fact that the Invicta Dynamos defeated Bracknell 11-0 last weekend.