Varsity 2017 Interview: Lacrosse

0

In the build up to the hotly anticipated this year’s Varsity, Anna Pennington spoke to Oliver Pannell the president of the Southampton Men’s Lacrosse team get his view on the upcoming fixture against Portsmouth.

With Lacrosse being one of the headline matches for this year’s Varsity the results are hotly anticipated. The Men’s Lacrosse team have had a hard season recovering from the graduation of many players along with the pressure of being in the BUCS Premier league. The team have seen improvement and look to see the success of the hard winter in this varsity match.

How has the last season been so far?

It’s been quite difficult, we unfortunately came last in the BUCS South Prem. However, we had a huge graduation of players last year and throughout the season we’ve definitely seen improvement and hope to carry that on to this weekend.

What was it like competing in a home Varsity?

It was really intense, we didn’t really have the start we wanted and left the game wide open at half time drawing at 2-2. I can remember how nervous we were just to try and claw back a lead and putting everything into the last minutes. We had a few stand out freshers who really stood out and made a name for themselves which was really good to see from a committee point of view, and it was just so good to get the W after another difficult season. Can I add that nothing compares to a home varsity!

How do you all feel playing away at Portsmouth will affect the team?

Yeah – myself I’m not too worried. We’ve won the last few years on the bounce so I’m sure we can be confident going into the game. The pitch is an Astro with zero lacrosse markings as I recall, so compared to our 3G could throw up a few issues. As for crowds etc,  we’ve played quite a few games where opposition crowds have been rowdy and it’s not really had too much of an impact, everyone is in their own game ‘bubble’ if that makes sense, and you knock yourself on the head if you let it get to you. One thing we do need to be is calm.

What are the team’s key strengths? Are there any players we should be on the lookout for?

I’d say we’re quite an athletic fit team, in terms of player we’ve got a Russian international, who’s been playing lacrosse far longer than most in the team and to add to that we have a few pretty epic players in Midfield.

Prediction for the final result?

Southampton 9- 5 Portsmouth.

More articles in Varsity 2017
  1. Team Southampton Kick Off Varsity 2017 With Equestrian Triumph
  2. Southampton Extend Early Varsity Lead Following Sunday’s Action
  3. Varsity 2017 Recap: Swimming
  4. Varsity 2017 Interview: Sailing
  5. Varsity 2017 Recap: Gymnastics
  6. Varsity 2017 Recap: Softball
  7. Varsity 2017 Interview: Lacrosse
  8. Varsity 2017 Interview: Mens Rugby
  9. Varsity 2017 Interview: Womens Rubgy
  10. Team Southampton Sweep Wednesday’s Varsity Fixtures
  11. Varsity 2017 Interview: Mens Football
  12. Varsity 2017 Interview: Womens Football
  13. An Interview With 2017 Varsity Officer: Stephen Gore
  14. Varsity 2017 Timetable
  15. Varsity 2017 Roundup Through Social Media
  16. A Guide To Varsity For Those Who ‘Don’t Get’ Varsity
  17. Southampton Have Won Varsity 2017