Southampton sack manager Claude Puel after a single season

0

Southampton Football Club have terminated the contract of Manager Claude Puel with immediate effect, bringing an end to the 55-year old’s tenure after a single Premier League campaign.

The Frenchman arrived from Nice after Ronald Koeman, who guided Saints to a sixth-place finish in the Premier League in 2015-16, departed for Everton.

In contrast, the Reds finished eighth this campaign under Puel, whilst also crashing out of the Europa League in the Group Stage and the FA Cup after a 5-0 home humiliation to Arsenal.

He did, however, give the Saints their first major cup final in 14 years as they lost 3-2 to Manchester United in the EFL Cup at Wembley Stadium in February.

The club says it has begun it’s search for a new Manager heading into the 2017-18 season.

“Southampton Football Club can today confirm that it has terminated the contract of Claude Puel with immediate effect,” read a statement from the club.

“Everyone at Southampton would like to express our thanks to Claude for his hard work and commitment this year,

“The highlight of the season was a memorable day at Wembley in the EFL Cup Final, a day our fans will always treasure,

“We wish Claude well for the future,

“The search for a new management team is underway. We are confident that we will find the right fit in line with the long term vision of the club.”

Saints get their pre-season campaign underway on domestic shores with an away trip to Brentford on July 22nd.

Sport Editor at the Wessex Scene. Often found in the racing paddocks of the UK as a freelance national motorsport journalist or PR. Self-titled comedic genius, notorious wearer of Union-branded clothing.