Tennis: Andy Murray and Johanna Konta Progress to Wimbledon Quarter-Finals

0

Britain’s Andy Murray and Johanna Konta have progressed to the quarter-finals of their respective singles competitions at Wimbledon.

It marks the first time the UK has boasted a last-eight entrant in both categories since 1973.

Murray continued the steady defence of his title at the All England Tennis and Lawns Club by defeating Frenchman Benoit Paire 7-6 (7-1), 6-4, 6-4.

Konta, meanwhile, toppled Paire’s compatriot Caroline Garcia 7-6 (7-3), 4-6, 6-4 on Court One.

She will face Romania’s Simona Halep on Tuesday, with Murray set to face American Sam Querrey the following day.

“I thought I played well today, apart from a couple of sloppy service games in the first set,” commented Murray.

“That’s by far the best I have hit it this week. He’s [Paire] not an easy guy to play – tactics aren’t easy against him.

“Two weeks ago I was resting and a bit concerned, it was frustrating. But I have managed it well and have played some good stuff. I’m doing well and hopefully will keep it up.”

“It was such a tough match to play,” admitted Konta.

“She [Garcia] is in impressive form. It’s hard to get any rhythm when she’s serving so well and gets her first strike in.

“I was happy that I was able to get enough returns in that final game. I was trying to stay light on my feet and strong in my body.”

Head of Events at the Wessex Scene. Often found working in the motorsport paddocks of the world, or enjoying a cafe breakfast. Self-titled comedic genius, notorious wearer of Union-branded clothing.