Southampton Draw Another Blank

0

Southampton failed to score for the third consecutive game – for the first time since October 2018 – as they were held to a 0-0 draw by David Moyes’ West Ham United.

Saints boss Ralph Hasenhuttl – managing the game from home due to a member of his household testing positive for COVID-19 – were able to recall Danny Ings but their top striker couldn’t fire them into the lead at St Mary’s.

In a game which was played behind closed doors due to Southampton being placed into Tier 4, Saints fans might have been grateful for the fact that they couldn’t watch their side in action – a dull game with few chances saw an uninspiring Saints side register three shots on target, none of which really troubled Hammers ‘keeper Lukas Fabianski.

The best chance of the game fell to Hammers substitute Said Benrahma; Southampton could not clear Jarrod Bowen’s clipped ball into the box – but the hosts’ ‘keeper Alex McCarthy pulled off a great save to secure the point.

For the first time in over two years, Southampton have gone three games without scoring and now have just one goal in their last four games – boss Hasenhuttl will look to address this when he is out of his isolation period.

It doesn’t get any easier for the hosts in their quest for European football – they take on champions and current league leaders Liverpool in their next game on 4th January.

FT: SOUTHAMPTON 0-0 West Ham.

Southampton: McCarthy, Walker-Peters (booked), Bednarek, Stephens, Bertrand (booked), Walcott, Ward-Prowse, Romeu, Djenepo (booked) (Armstrong 78′), Ings, Adams (Long 58′). Unused Subs: Obafemi, Valery, Smallbone, Forster, Salisu, Diallo, Vokins.

West Ham: Fabianski, Fredricks, Dawson, Ogbonna, Cresswell, Rice, Yarmolenko (booked) (Bowen 72′), Lanzini (Benrahma 60′), Soucek, Fornals, Haller (Antonio 77′). Unused Subs: Coufal, Snodgrass, Noble, Diop, Johnson, Randolph.

Wessex Scene Man of the Match: Kyle Walker-Peters (SOUTHAMPTON)

Sports Editor and 2nd Year Population & Geography student