Soton Snapshots #1

1

Here at the Wessex Scene, we know that one of the only good things about coming back from an incredible trip to rainy, cold England and a mounting pile of neglected degree work is the prospect of showing off your photos to friends and family. But why stop there? Now you can also share them with the rest of the university, in our brand new Soton Snapshots section. We believe that looking at other people’s photos, and sharing your own, is a great way to compare your experiences and fight those post-holiday blues. You never know, it might even help you decide where you want to go next!

Snapper 1: April Foot, 2nd year English

Last year, I was lucky enough to go on a tour of Central America, working my way from Mexico down to Costa Rica, during which time I saw some sights that could have fallen straight out of the travel brochures. Here are my favourite photos from the trip:

Snapshot 1:

This is the ‘Ragga Gal’, a boat used to take tourists snorkelling, docked at the tiny harbour on the island of Caye Caulker in Belize. Caye Caulker is reached by boat from the mainland and is only five miles long and less than one mile wide – it remains my favourite place we visited, mostly because of the friendly, laid-back people.

Snapshot 2:

These are the Mayan temples of Tikal, emerging through the Guatemalan rainforest, photographed from the top of another temple. I climbed 500 steps on crutches for this view; it was, quite literally, breath-taking. Given the choice between seeing either Tikal or Chichen Itza, one of the Seven Wonders of the World, I would take Tikal every time. It’s less touristy, has much better surroundings and is, in my opinion, far more spectacular.

Snapshot 3:

The famously colourful ‘chicken buses’ of Central America – parked, as you do, alongside an active volcano in Antigua, Guatemala. These buses are so-called because the locals sometimes use them to take chickens and other livestock to market. They often get very crowded, as we found out first-hand on our journey, and disappointingly we didn’t see any chickens either.

Snapshot 4:

An example of the beautiful scenery in Nicaragua, snapped during a swelteringly hot kayaking tour of the lake. The island in the centre was inhabited only by monkeys and parrots, and a snake managed to make its way into somebody’s kayak… by far the most memorable part of the day.

Snapshot 5:

Proof that iguanas like spooning too! We spotted these two exhibitionists outside a cafe at our last stop in Costa Rica. The perfect end to a great trip.

Are you a budding travel photographer? Would you like to share your holiday snaps with other students? If so, it couldn’t be simpler – just send us the photos you’re most proud of, along with a quick explanation underneath each one saying when and where they were taken. Happy snapping!

Hello I am so delighted I found your web site, I really found you by error, while I was browsing on Bing for something else, Anyways
    I am here now and would just like to say many thanks for a incredible post
    and a all round interesting blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read it all at
    the minute but I have saved it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have
    time I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up the excellent work.