Porec: Croatia’s Hidden Gem

0

In recent years, the Croatian cities of Dubrovnik and Split have aided Croatia’s growth as a tourist destination and it’s not hard to see why. Croatia is home to beautiful architecture (strikingly similar to neighbouring Venice) and brilliantly blue seas. Instead of heading to a well known Croatian destination, try something different this year and head to Porec on the Istrian peninsula. 

Porec waterfront
Porec waterfront Laura Cox

What to see in Porec:
 Porec, a town on the Western coast of Crotia’s Istrian peninsula, blends a rich heritage which quirky shops, winding cobbled streets and  plenty of restaurants. Without even searching for them, you can stumble across  Roman ruins all around the town! It’s also home to the 6th century Euphrasian Basilica, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and beautiful Venetian inspired architecture. After a day exploring the town’s  attractions and shops, head to a cocktail bar on the sea front and watch the sun set across the harbour.

Nearby Towns:  

Rovinj
Rovinj Laura Cox

In addition to exploring Porec, there are plenty of other options nearby. Hop on a bus from the station in the centre of the town and you can get to the majority of major Croatian cities within only a few hours! The service is also great value for money. We took the bus to the town of Rovinj which took around an hour. It’s a popular tourist resort and it’s easy to see why! Rovinj’s Old Town is home to architecture which reflects the style of neighbouring Venice. Head to the waterfront, grab yourself an ice cream and enjoy the incredible views across the sea! There’s also the Saint Euphemia Cathedral which is located on the top of a steep cobbled street and, along the way, you’ll meet craftsmen at work outside their shops. Rovinj itself is also home to some great restaurants which, like its Old Town buildings, reflect the Italian influence with plenty of pizza and pasta dishes.
Nearby Pula is also worth visiting – it’s home to its very own highly impressive ampitheatre! It’s the best preserved ancient monument in Croatia and is among the six largest surviving ampitheatres in the world.
Also nearby is the incredible Lim Fjord, home to bright blue waters. You can get to the Fjord on boat trips which depart several times a day from the centre of Porec.

pula
Pula, via Wikipedia

How to get there: 
Flights to Croatia take around three hours from London Gatwick. Thomson flies regularly to Pula and EasyJet will also be flying to Pula for the 2015 summer season (from the 23rd of June). EasyJet flights from London Gatwick start at just £40!

Where to stay: 
If you’re travelling on a budget, thinking about pitching up a tent and heading to one of Istria’s sprawling campsites. This also gives you the freedom to move between towns on the coast or elsewhere in Croatia. Eurocamp’s Camp Lanterna is situated nearby to the towns of Porec, Pula and Rovinj.