A Student’s Guide to Salisbury

Salisbury is a classic English market town that less than 40 minutes on the train from Southampton, and it is the perfect day trip for those after a dose of culture, a bit of window shopping or a few drinks in cosy pubs with open fires. It’s also the gateway to one of England’s most famous landmarks, Stonehenge. Read on for details of how to get there and what the best things to do are!

Image Source: Katie Uniacke

The Cathedral is Salisbury’s main selling point, boasting the highest spire in the UK. Built in the 13th century, it is surrounded by gardens so you’ve got plenty of space to fully appreciate its beauty from every angle.

There is a suggested donation of £5.50 for students to visit the cathedral but this isn’t enforced. There are lots of interesting things to see, including an original copy of the Magna Carta – the 800th anniversary of which is taking place this year.

Top tip: Go before the autumn leaves are gone as they frame the Cathedral beautifully. If you can, try and go as close to sunset as possible as at this time of year the sun lights up the cathedral. If you’re as lucky as I was you may even get a double rainbow and a flock of doves to make the photos even more spectacular.

Wikipedia Commons

Stonehenge is a must-visit for international students and is also probably one of those places that British students have never been to! You can buy a ticket that includes bus travel from Salisbury and entrance to Stonehenge (details here) and see this incredible piece of British history for yourself!

Salisbury is full of perfect traditional pubs serving yummy pub food and local ales and ciders. Most of them have roaring fires at this time of year. If the weather is really awful, just hop from pub to pub on a classy pub crawl. Relaxation at its best.

Charity Shopping

For any charity-shoppers among you, Salisbury is brilliant. The area is quite wealthy and so the selection is usually of very good quality!

How do I get there?

The easiest way is on the train. Trains leave Southampton Central approximately every 30 minutes and only cost £6.85 for a return! The train station is an easy walk from the town centre.

Happy day-tripping, and let us know if you discover any gems!

Travel addict and linguist! In my final year of BA Spanish and Portuguese. Spent my year abroad working in ecotourism in Bonito, Brazil and travelling South America. Passionate about all kinds of travel, be it a day trip, a weekend break or a year long voyage of discovery! Have a peek a my blog: https://whatkatieisdoing.com/.