La Bella Vità: an Au Pair’s dream!

0

Being paid to live and breathe in a city of your dreams is something we all fantasize about. One easy way of achieving this, however, is taking a job as an Au Pair, an occupation that changed my life 

Sunsets and Bridges
Sunsets and Bridges

Each year, millions of tourists flock to Rome to experience the enchantment of its narrow streets and beautiful bridges, as well as exploring the many ancient Roman ruins.  According to EBTL (the tourist board that monitors Rome’s visitor data), in 2014, Rome registered a total of 29,527,178 overnight stays.

Before 2015, Au-Pairing had never been an attractive prospect – I found the idea of looking after young children within an unfamiliar family setting such an awkward and uncomfortable situation. However, all of my preconceptions and anxieties surrounding the concept of Au-Pairing were completely abolished after I braved working with a Spanish family in Madrid over Easter.

Au Pairing is an amazing opportunity to get paid to live, work and learn in almost any city in the world. Through AuPairWorld.com, I was fortunate enough to spend summer 2015 in what I consider to be  La Migliore Città nel Mondo…

… R    O      M      A

I had never previously had the opportunity to visit Italy, a country that I have forever yearned to visit ever since I began learning the romantic language at A-Level as a young country bumpkin in my home-town of Cornwall.

Castel Sant Angelico
Castel Sant Angelico

La mia famiglia italiana was just perfect – a charming and witty architect for a father, who had a furious passion for sailing, two teenage ragazzi that were very studious yet charismatic and la mia mamma italiana; the modern day Italian archetype, whose level of sheer unashamed glamour matched her exuberantly sassy attitude.

My stay with the family offered me an amazing central location to explore the city, with a trendy apartment touching the walls of the Basilica San Pietro. Moreover, with being so close to the Vatican City, On Wednesdays, Thursdays and Sundays I would be awoken by the bellowing cries of the Basilica choir and the unmistakable and graceful voice of Pope Francis, himself! It was certainly the most bizarre and surreal experience of my life to date!

My experience working with the family was fantastic and I truly learnt so much about the Italian culture, food and everyday life. I also learnt how the other half live, soaking up the rays in the family’s weekend house, in the exclusive Porto Ercole.

Dinner with a view in Porto Ercole, Tuscany

I would strongly recommend Au Pairing to anyone. It is a fantastic way of discovering a culture and learning a language, from immersion and becoming part of a native family. I was paid to live in central Rome, explore an amazing City, eat endless amounts of pizza, pasta and gelato, spend weekends in an exclusive port and meet so many amazing people. The world’s best job? I think so!

Weekends spent in Porto Ercole, Tuscany
Weekends spent in Porto Ercole, Tuscany

Next up, exploring the narrow streets of Rome, dining out and getting merry.

Summary
0%
0
Awesome

BA Modern Languages student (Spanish, Italian, Portuguese), currently working and researching in Cancun, Mexico.

I live to travel and there is nothing I love more than moving to a new country, immersing myself in the language and culture.
I have lived in Spain, Italy and Mexico.
I love writing about my personal experiences when travelling.

I am also very interested in UK politics.