Britain’s Best Christmas Markets

Wondering where to go to get your fill  of mulled wine and festive spirit? Look no further as here’s some of the best Christmas markets in Britain.

Winchester’s Christmas market consists of a cute collection of wooden chalets situated in the Cathedral’s historic and close and surrounding an open-air real ice rink. There’s a wealth of traders, all of whom have been hand-picked for their interesting, high quality and unique products – many of which can’t be bought on the high street. Winchester Christmas market offers a great selection of festive food such as bratwurst, mince pies and stollen, but most importantly there is the omnipresent mulled wine.

19th November – 22nd December 2015

Image credit: Molly Evans

Exeter Christmas market is situated in the old heart of the city, in the grounds of the cathedral, a setting which makes it really special. It offers the usual mulled wine and mulled cider, as well as warming winter food such as hog roasts and bratwurst, and sweet treats such as mince pies, stollen and baklava. The market also offer a selection of locally made bespoke gifts which showcase some truly special craft talent – making for memorable festive gifts.

19th November – 19th December 2015

Bath’s award winning Christmas market is located in the streets surrounding the Roman baths and Bath Abbey. The market boasts 170 chalets, all stocked with crafts and gifts making it a great place for Christmas shopping. It also offers a Victorian carousel, Santa’s Grotto and ice rink, as well as a pop-up Après Ski Bar. If all that doesn’t get you in the festive spirit then you can pop into Bath Abbey for a Christmas carol service.

26th November – 13th December 2015

Birmingham Frankfurt Christmas Market & Craft Fair

Image credit:

Hailed as the largest authentic German market outside Germany or Austria, Birmingham’s market has over 180 stalls selling gifts, jewellery, decorations, handmade toys, delicious German fare and of course the ever popular mulled wine! There’s lots of food on offer, including bratwurst, pretzels, crepes and German beer. You can even sing along with the singing moose if that’s what it takes to get you into the yuletide spirit!

Adjacent to the Frankfurt Christmas Market, the Christmas Craft Fair extends into Chamberlain Square where Birmingham’s own traders offer their own selection of beautifully hand-crafted items, created by local artisans.

12th November – 22nd December 2015

The historic city of Canterbury has one of the quaintest Christmas markets on offer. Located in the intimate setting of Whitefriars Square, the market has over 40 traditional wooden sheds showcasing the bespoke products crafted by local, national and international traders. The market has it all with shopping and festive gifts, amazing gourmet foods and a sparkly new Father Christmas’s Grotto. There’s also pop-up entertainment throughout the market each week such as choirs, live bands, dancers and face-painting. Festive food is on offer too, and of course – you may be sensing a theme here –  the all-important mulled wine.

28th November – 25th December 2015

Swansea Christmas Market and Waterfront Winterland

Image credit:

Swansea’s Christmas Market takes place on Oxford Street and offers arts, crafts, handmade gifts, fine foods, speciality products, unique Christmas decorations and festive essentials. Food wise there is a hearty hog roast, delicious crepes and hot turkey rolls. Mulled wine of course helps exarcebate the festive cheer, but just in case that doesn’t work there is also entertainment scheduled for the duration of the market so expect Christmas carols on a loop that would warm the heart of even the coldest Scrooge.

25th November – 22nd December 2015

Leeds Christkindelmarkt

Leeds’ authentic German Christmas market is set up in the heart of the city, in Millennium Square. You can get fully into the German festive spirit with the popular Frankfurter Scheune, Kuh Stall and Alp Chalet Bavarian eatery providing visitors with a warm and cosy retreat in which to sample the very best in authentic German food & drink. These include various German delicacies such as Bratwurst sausages, goulash and schnitzels, and sweet delicacies like candied fruit, stollen and mince pies. There is also music from a live Bavarian band, a carousel and, of course, mulled wine!

13th November – 20th December 2015

Image credit: