36 Hours In Torquay

0

… and beyond, with Nuala McBride’s whistle-stop tour of this picture-postcard Devon town. Here’s her guide on what to see, do and eat!

devon tor
Source: Nuala McBride

In Torquay . . .

Torquay (aka the English Riveria) is a cute seaside town, located in South Devon and perfect for a winter weekend adventure. Even though it’s winter, there’s still many things to do and it’s brimming with tea rooms for when you need to escape the cold!

My first port of call was the Cliff Walk, located near to the sea front and harbour. It’s a short but steep climb to the top (along a boardwalk, so no actual cliff climbing!) and provides spectacular views of the ocean and surrounding area.

devon beach
Source: Nuala McBride

Beautiful beaches . . .

Torquay town beach is good for walking along; as there’s a concrete path (so you don’t have to get really sandy!). Anyway, the beach consists of compact sand; so it’s good for walking on when the tide is out. There’s regularly ‘the sand man’ who draws amazing large-scale patterns in the sand.  If you have a little bit more time on your hands, head over to Brixton as this beach is spectacular.

devon tea
Source: Nuala McBride

Where to eat …

When in Devon, you just have to have a cream tea! A very popular place is Angels Tearooms due to its extensive menu with every single afternoon tea possibility that you could imagine. If you’re really hungry, go for an ‘Angel Afternoon Tea’; which is any sandwich, two 2 Devonshire scones, clotted cream, jam and of course a big pot of tea all for under £10.

Afterwards, there are scenic walks along the cliff tops or if you’re feeling particularly, energetic you can venture down to the some of the little coves.

devon rob
Source: Facebook

Going out?

Head to The Green Ginger, order a drink and get ‘Shot by Rob’ (i.e. your photograph taken by Rob). It’s a must in Torquay!  For clubbing make a beeline to Parklane, where there’s three different dancing rooms so music to suit every taste. But be aware that the drinks are very expensive inside!

devon c
Source: Nuala McBride

When you need some fresh air …

Cockington Court is a gorgeous historic manor house surrounded by grounds. There’s many walks around the historic house and surronding village; which is stuck in time with cute thatched houses. And, it’s free to enter.

Getting there

From Southampton Central, it takes about three and a half hours. Prices start at around £21 for a return (with a 16-25 railcard), if you book in advance.

Deputy Editor 2016 -2017. I'm a Geography student here at Southampton. Also, an avid adventurer; who is always up for discovering somewhere whether it's new or old.