What’s So Special About Singapore?

0

Singapore is just an incredible city. It’s almost eerily perfect at times, just like the setting of a weird utopian film. It’s got the towering city skyline of New York; but without the suffocating atmosphere that follows. 
The Singapore skyline gives off the impression that every building has been specifically constructed with careful consideration of its appearance, among the others. No view ever looks overcrowded and no building ever looks oddly placed. Singapore is a photographer’s dream and a city you don’t forget in a hurry. There is endless amounts to see and do here, with their well organised and simple metro and bus systems it’s the easiest city to get around and accomplish a lot in a limited time frame.
Museums and Art Galleries 
At the end of the day, Singapore is a hugely metropolitan city with a lot of urban and modern culture; which often places it at the forefront of the world’s most significant cities. No kidding, at one point I thought I was watching an episode of Futurama; so, whilst visiting this goldmine of modernisation you should definitely make the most of the exhibitions Singapore offers. From its endless museums, with so much historical importance to its thought provoking and interesting modern art, there is a lot of mind expanding opportunities in this city that shouldn’t go a miss.
Botanical Gardens 
This attraction definitely needs at least half a day or even a full day to cover, if you want to do it properly. I made the mistake of leaving it till late afternoon and although it was still incredibly enchanting, there just wasn’t enough time to get around it all. The botanical gardens are a god-sent scenic paradise, even if you aren’t hugely interested in the details of each plant and flower. The gardens are worth visiting just to appreciate the obscurity of such a natural atmosphere inside an urban hotspot. So, bring a book, music or your art equipment and go explore to find the garden for you, whether that be the healing, orchid, ginger, pre-historical garden or any of the many other choices.
Singapore Zoo
For all the animal lovers, this is a wonderful addition to the trip. Sometimes when you go to a zoo, you leave feeling terrible that you contributed to funding the entrapment of helpless animals, who might have seemed miserable. But, Singapore Zoo is not like that at all, the zoo is extremely conscious of the mistreatment of animals elsewhere and they do everything they can to provide a wonderful home for the animals. The whole zoo is covered in so many massive posters; which spread warnings and awareness about impending extinction of species and the brutality of the sports and meat industries. Although a weighty topic, it is important and the zoo is the most ideal place to spread this information to other individuals who will share these concerns and want to protect the destruction and mistreatment of animals and their habitats. The most impressive aspect of the zoo is how well laid out and spacious the enclosures are. Some displays aren’t even enclosed and involve walking among the animals so you are within an arm’s reach of them. It truly feels like you are visiting the animals in their natural homes, which of course is not always true, but the zoo has done a great job of trying to bridge that gap.
Gardens by the Bay
This tourist attraction and its marina bay surroundings are just breathtaking, especially at night. All of Singapore’s attractions and structures are lit up with thousands of twinkle lights and is a must see for any traveller. The view is truly amazing and if you want to make it even more impressive than you can make your way onto the Singapore flyer; which provides a bird’s eye gaze of the city to let you soak up all its glory from above.
All photo credit: Freya Millard

Wessex Scene Travel Editor 2016-2017. English Student. Aspiring Journalist. World Traveller.