24 Hours in Florence: PART ONE

0

24 HOURS IN: FLORENCE

The Cradle of the Renaissance, Florence is one of Europe’s great art cities and one of the most significant and cherished cities in Italy. Giotto’s frescoes, Michelangelo’s David, canvases by Botticelli, Leonardo da Vinci and a host of other greats in the Uffizi Gallery… there’s so much exquisite art and architecture, it’s difficult to know where to start. Here is my suggested itinerary that aims to highlight the best of Florence.

Travel:

FLIXBUS. From Roma Tiburtina- Firenze.

Departing at 0815 Arriving at 1140.

Return: Departing at 2225 Arriving at 0155.

€35 return.

Itinerary:

-Fortezza da Basso + Piazza di Liberta’

– San Marco

-Giardino dei semplici or Giardino della Gherardese

-Piazza della Santissima Annunziata

-Fountains of Mostri Marini, Palazzo Grifono and the Museo di Innocenti.

-Tempio Maggiore Isreaelitico

-Palazzo Medici Riccardi

-Basilica di San Lorenzo

-Piazza del Duomo

-Florence Cathedral with the Cupola del Brunelleschi,

-Giotto’s Campanile

-Florence Baptistery

-Loggia del Bigallo

-Opera del Duomo Museum

-Arcivescovile and Canonici’s palace.

-Piazza della Repubblica

Piazza della Signoria

-Palazzo Vecchio

-Piazzale degli Uffizi

-Piazza di Santa Crocce

Bilbioteca Nazionale Centrale di Firenze

-Ponte Vecchio

-Piazza di Santa Maria Novella

-Piazzale Michelangelo

-Fortezza da Basso + Piazza di Libertá

From the train station, head towards medieval walls of the first spectacular and historic site, the Fortezza (Fort) Da Basso. Carry on along the Viale Spartaco Lavagnini until you reach the Piazza di Libertá.

– San Marco

Walking down the beautiful street of Via Cavour and you will soon reach the first of many religious sites, San Marco. San Marco is a religious complex made up of a Church and a Convent. Built in 1443 this is a great example of the Renaissance style with the impressive edifice.

13626331_10153952959067669_2224988260203531663_n
Credit: Kirby Moore

If, like me, you went out the night before and didn’t get much sleep, there is nothing better than finding a quiet park to take a moment to relax in the shade. In Florence, there are many. Close by you can choose the tranquility of either of these two gardens, with fontanellas (water fountains) to drink from.

-Piazza della Santissima Annunziata

You’ll notice a distinct level of calm as you stroll to Piazza della Santissima Annunziata, home to the

Credit: Kirby Moore
Credit: Kirby Moore

Basilica della Santissima Annunziata (Basilica of the Most Holy Annunciation), which is a Renaissance-style, Roman Catholic minor basilica. Travelling from Rome, the stillness and peacefulness of Florence is a welcome change. Here you will find the Fountains of Mostri Marini, Palazzo Grifono and the Museo di Innocenti.

Walk down the Via della Colonna to reach the Great Synagogue of Florence. The synagogue of Florence was one of the most important synagogues built in Europe in the age of the emancipation, reached by the Jewish communities living in the Grand Duchy of Tuscany in 1848.

13782225_10208958588509421_3206445538777530224_n
Credit: Kirby Moore

-Palazzo Medici Riccardi

Palazzo Medici Riccardi after the later family that acquired and expanded it, is a Renaissance palace. The Medici family remain a great force and power in Florence and its development, a banking family that presided over Florence. Find out more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Medici

Next is the Basilica di San Lorenzo, one of the largest Churches in Florence and the burial-place of all the principal members of the Medici family.

-Piazza del Duomo

You have now reached the heart of the city and what a draw dropping heart it is! Here we can find the Florence Cathedral with the Cupola del Brunelleschi, the Giotto’s Campanile, the Florence Baptistery, the Loggia del Bigallo, the Opera del Duomo Museum, and the Arcivescovile and Canonici’s palace. The west zone of this square is called San Giovanni square.

13781841_10153952957097669_4929759190189977031_n
Credit: Kirby Moore
Duomo, Campanile di Giotto, Battistero e Cupola del Brunelleschi a Firenze

Our 24 hours in Florence continues in part two, where we watch the sun set over a spectacular view of this glorious city…

All imagery credits: Kirby Moore

BA Modern Languages student (Spanish, Italian, Portuguese), currently working and researching in Cancun, Mexico. I live to travel and there is nothing I love more than moving to a new country, immersing myself in the language and culture. I have lived in Spain, Italy and Mexico. I love writing about my personal experiences when travelling. I am also very interested in UK politics.