Why Autumn Is The Best Season For Travelling

0

Sometimes it can seem that, as soon as the summer ends the holidays must also. And yes, it is inarguable that travelling when there is an endless supply of sunshine really does create a wonderfully vibrant atmosphere. But autumn as a season is one that I believe is the most underrated and so often overlooked as the real prime time to visit another country. An autumn dream destination may not have sunshine but I’ll tell you what it does have…

Unbelievable Colours

There is nothing more perfect than an autumn sunset or sunrise. The colours are insanely vivid and they cover the entire spectrum, from burnt orange and yellow tones to deep purples and blues. Every day during autumn time the sky is never quite the same and yet regardless of this it always seems to be spectacular to catch on any given morning/evening. So why not go witness this natural phenomena in  new and exotic destination with an incredible horizon or cityscape to accompany it?

Credit: Flickr
Credit: Flickr

The Perfect Temperature

Summertime obviously has the sun and all its great benefits but let us not forget the hardship of heat that follows this luxury. Remember all those summer holidays abroad where you were constantly sweaty? I mean even if you could have showered 20 times a day there would still be no stopping the evitable. Or those occasions when you thought you could quite possibly die from dehydration even though you were consuming water by the gallons? Then on the other end of the scale, there’s those winter breaks where you spend 80% of you day without feeling in your fingers and toes. Or when you are outside you count down the footsteps  you have to take until you are back in the warm comforts of any indoors. But in autumn these are problems that cease to exist, the weather is warm enough to still wander and explore the destination without dying of hypothermia and yet cold enough to provide that little extra cosiness that keeps you perfectly hydrated whilst wrapped up in a snug jumper.

No Crazy Queues

In Autumn you are without the entire world jumping on the bandwagon of travelling during summer; and with that you will be so very happy to discover that the autumn come down is actually the best time to be going away. You will not have to suffer through tourist hell with all those queues and the hectic craziness surrounding all those awesome global attractions in summer. Just think of how efficient your time will be used and just how much sight seeing you’ll be able to fit in. Plus the prices of accommodation and flights are down cause its not peak season! Who doesn’t love a good getaway bargain trip?

Incredible Natural Settings

Autumn is a beautiful season and I daresay the best travel photos come from this time of year. The vivid colours as the trees changing and the rustic leaves pilling up on the ground just make for the most ideal photo opportunities. But then reimagine this picturesque paradise but amongst the gothic buildings of Prague or the endless hillsides of Ireland or perhaps the bird’s eye view from the Eiffel Tower. You just can’t compete with settings as truly brilliant as that.

Insects Go Into Hibernation

Best news ever, there are no mosquitos feasting on you in Autumn! Okay well I can’t promise none whatsoever but definitely far less active pests draining you of your bodily resources and testing your self-restraint to not itch, so hooray!

Alternative Trip Ideas

Autumn is the time to not be basic. Get creative and think outside of the box when designing your holiday. Instead of just following the good weather you can go and find adventure in all sorts of incredible alternatives. Why not go tick the Northern Lights off your bucket list? Or spend Halloween exploring spooky European castles? Why not even go on a weeklong hiking trip in the heights of Bulgaria? The world in autumn is your oyster so go explore it.

Credit: Wikimedia
Credit: Wikimedia

Wessex Scene Travel Editor 2016-2017. English Student. Aspiring Journalist. World Traveller.