Food and Mood: Eating to Improve your Wellbeing

0

Food is an important part of our daily routines, from first thing in the morning to the end of the day. It is our fuel to get us through the day, but it is also key to feeling good and improving our mood. Here are some food and drink recommendations to include in your diet and some general tips that will help you feel good.

Keep Hydrated

Drinking will help you to stay alert and be able to think clearly. Water is easy to get hold of and usually free. Make sure to keep hold of your water bottle though, or use a reusable one, and search for somewhere to top it up via the Refill app. This way you will be able to easily find places to refill your water bottle so you can stay hydrated all day.

Limit Caffeine Intake

Caffeine can be useful in that it gives you a burst of energy and is usually found in coffee, tea or energy drinks. However, because caffeine is a stimulant, it can give you that quick boost followed by a dip, which could result in feeling anxious or losing sleep. Try switching to decaf versions of your favourite drinks to manage your caffeine and subsequently your mood.

Eat Your 5 A Day

Fruit and veg are not just good for your physical health, but can also benefit your mental health too. Try to aim for 5 portions of fruit or veg everyday. Your fruit and veg intake can be fresh, frozen, tinned, dried, or juiced. 

Get Enough Protein

Protein is key as it is part of a well balanced diet and keeps us fuller for longer and helps support stable energy levels. Protein contains amino acids, which are needed by our brains to regulate our emotions. No matter what your dietary preferences, there is a protein source available to you. For example, meat, fish, eggs, beans, peas, lentils, cheese, soya products, nuts and seeds.

Eat Healthy Fats

Healthy fats should not be shied away from. Our brains need the fatty acids, like omega 3 and 6, to function well. These healthy fats can be found in oily fish, poultry, avocados, olive oil and much, much more. Be careful of trans fats or partially hydrogenated oils though as they both increase bad cholesterol and lower good cholesterol, so they are not the best to have all the time.

These are all recommendations on what we should do, but you intuitively know what’s right for you and what your body needs at specific times. Some days you may follow healthy nutritional advice but a takeaway or a slice of cake can be a part of a balanced diet too. It is important to follow the health guidance given to us and make sure to keep our diet moderated. Eating well benefits our physical and mental health, so it’s important to listen to your body.

Lifestyle Editor 2020/21. German and Spanish Final Year Student.