Managing Long Distance Relationships

0

Moving abroad for a year or longer can put a strain on any relationship. It doesn’t matter whether you’ve been with your partner for long time or a short time, it’s still hard. This article will provide some methods of how to deal with these long periods away from each other. 

The simplest way to manage these types of relationship is by making time to talk to each other. That can be through social media, texts or video calls, all of which allow you both to keep a line of communication open. Video calls are the best way to talk, as it is the closest you can get to a face-to-face conversation. You could try to designate a specific time to talk to each other each week, or simply go with the flow and see how your time pans out.

Another more old-fashioned but special way to communicate with each other is to send handwritten cards or notes. You could do this for anniversaries, birthdays or just because. They take a lot more time, effort and money than a text message, but it will mean the world, so it’s worth it!

It is extremely important to have something to look forward to when you’re away, particularly if you feel homesick. This is also a good tactic to employ in a relationship. Visiting your significant other, or them coming to see you abroad, is so amazing. It is not always easy, due to the time and costs involved, but if you can do it, you should. However, you need to remember that saying goodbye again is never easy. Therefore, if you do meet up in person during the year, you should plan for when you’re next seeing each other so that you both have something to put in your calendar and look forward to! Then it’s not really a goodbye, but a see you soon.

If you cannot see each other regularly for whatever reason, borrowing something of theirs to have whilst you’re away could be useful, as it offers a physical reminder of them. A common example is borrowing (stealing!) a hoodie and wearing it to bed so it acts as a comfort blanket for you, perhaps in lonelier times.

What is also important when you’re living separately is to be supportive of each other and the lives you are living away from each other. Always remember you are different people with separate lives. You must make sure you both give each other the opportunity to flourish in whatever you do and not let the green-eyed monster creep in. Life still goes on no matter where you or your partner are in the world and you can’t limit each other because you’re not together to do the same things.

There’s no denying that long distance relationships are hard. But with the right mindset and regular communication, it can work. Plus, when you or your partner is away for a period of time, it makes you value the time you do have together.

(PSA: This is what I do in my relationship and every situation is different. You know what’s best for you and your relationship).

Lifestyle Editor 2020/21. German and Spanish Final Year Student.