Interview with Xiao ‘Veronica’ Wang: VP Education and Democracy Candidate

0

Wessex Scene were able to interview Xiao ‘Veronica’ Wang about their campaign to be the next VP Education and Democracy.

Xiao elected to answer these questions online.

Why did you apply for the role of VP Education and Democracy?

I wanted to run for Vice President of Education and Democracy in order to represent the wide range of student concerns and questions for change. I would be willing to support academic representatives with various feedback, and also to ensure students’ voices could be heard as priority. In this process, I can enhance the sense of participation and belonging for most students in their learning experience. Due to the change of education and examination form under the Covid-19 pandemic situation, I want to provide support for students, and solutions to deal with related issues timely and effectively.

If you were elected, what would be your top three areas of focus?

Dealing with the influence of changing the students’ educational lives under the pandemic situation, I would try my best to support and provide information and solutions as much as possible about what they are confused on in their time studying and living.

Passionate about dealing with issues that students may meet in daily life such as the examination form or the voting activity, it is also another way that should be focused on to prioritise and ensure students have a voice.

Improving their sense of participation, focusing on career development, and concentrating on their mental health.

What’s something that SUSU provides that you like, and what is something that you would like to change/alter?

I appreciate the variety of souvenirs with university logos on that SUSU offers. These kinds of gifts will bring back unforgettable memories for me after I purchase them. I think SUSU can sell university-branded gifts through online ordering. Although three or four products have been published on the university’s official website, I hope the types and styles of products can be expanded and updated.

What do you identify as the current problems with the VP Education and Democracy role in particular and how would you aim to combat these?

When students are required to vote, the issues about publicity arise. In the voting process, I think that SUSU’s publicity about voting issues was inadequate perhaps. Even though I can receive email reminders and check them on the official website as a student, I believe it is still necessary to carry out certain publicity on other social media applications such as WeChat.

How will you reassure students that their voices matter when the university chose to ignore the recent all-student vote?

I will reply and tell them by email what the voting situation is. This email will reassure students that they should not be concerned. SUSU has been following the situation and will provide students with feedback as soon as possible. 

What do you think students want?

Students may want to know the specific steps of how to register for the first time when they join the university. When they start their course, they may wish to know how to gain access to the school library in order to complete their daily assignment. Simultaneously, students may want to know how to quickly and effectively copy the references in the specified format in the online library. Furthermore, because of the epidemic, students may be curious about how to schedule an appointment for the university vaccine rather than queuing. These are the details that students may want to know.

How would you use your representative experience to benefit you in this role?

I think I have the organisational and coordinative capacity to collect useful and effective information and feedback through online meetings with lecturers, personal academic tutors and students. Due to my representative experience, I have the capability to select accurate and valid questions and answers immediately, then reply to students as soon as possible. Meanwhile, I could have an efficient communication with module leaders to receive information about what students would be curious about.

You mention ‘supporting academic representatives with varying feedback’, what do you mean by this?

Each academic representative could be confused about different points or questions based on various modules, majors or teaching forms. I therefore need to give them appropriate and valid feedback to answer what exactly they need to know in desperate situations.

Wessex Scene attempted to contact Peerapat ‘James’ Sparks, Ruiya Wang, or Tomasz Duliban but unfortunately were not able to set up an interview.

More articles in SUSU Spring Elections 2022
  1. Interview with Zoe Chapple: VP Activities Candidate
  2. Interview with Rishi-Nayan Varodaria: Union President Candidate
  3. Interview with Parth Pandya: VP Education and Democracy Candidate
  4. Interview with Samuel Pegg: VP Activities Candidate
  5. Interview with Oliver Murray: Union President Candidate
  6. Interview with Xiao ‘Veronica’ Wang: VP Education and Democracy Candidate
  7. Interview with Benedict Madan: Union President Candidate
  8. RUMOUR HAS IT… 2022 UNION ELECTIONS RUMOURED SABBATICAL OFFICER CANDIDATES
  9. Interview with Jamie Biltcliffe: VP Education and Democracy Candidate
  10. Interview with Holly Denton: VP Education and Democracy Candidate
  11. Interview with Emily Bastable: VP Education and Democracy Candidate
  12. Spring Elections 2022 Candidates Revealed
  13. There’s still time to nominate yourself for a SUSU leadership role
  14. Interview with Harry Bull: Union President Candidate
  15. Interview with Ryan Couchman-Sawyer: VP Education and Democracy Candidate
  16. Interview with Selin Moustafa: VP Welfare and Community Candidate
  17. Interview with Ruby Turner: VP Welfare and Community Candidate
  18. Interview with Aycha Ates-Di Adamo: VP Welfare and Community Candidate
  19. Interview with VP Sports Candidate: Casie Osbourne
  20. Interview with Corin Holloway: VP Activities Candidate
  21. SUSU Spring Elections 2022 Liveblog

Wessex Scene Editor 21/22. Living vicariously through other people.