Don’t Hate, Isolate: ‘At Home’ Digital Choir Launched to Boost National Morale During Self-Isolation

0

British choirmaster, composer, and TV presenter, Gareth Malone, has launched an ‘at home’ digital choir initiative to bring the nation together and lift spirits through the power of music as coronavirus measures continue across the country. 

‘The Great British Home Chorus’ has been designed to bring together both amateur and professional performers around the UK by encouraging them to sing with others online and reduce the incidence of loneliness among self-isolating individuals. Malone aims to connect music-lovers despite the closure of public communal spaces that would ordinarily be used for rehearsals. He was inspired by the viral scenes of neighbours serenading each other from their balconies in the midst of the lockdown in Italy earlier this month.

Malone told Classic FM:

We all need music in our lives […] I think radio is going to be so important, because you can’t just sit and watch TV all the time. You need to feel like you’re surrounded by people and part of community. And I think it’s very important we do active things and have a little project that is – in that wonderful way in the arts – very, very important and also utterly pointless.

Since launching The Great British Home Chorus, Malone’s team have had 9,000 applicants.

More articles in Don't Hate, Isolate
  1. Don’t Hate, Isolate: Southampton Man Runs Marathon in His Garden
  2. Don’t Hate, Isolate: Meet Canada’s New Trend, ‘Caremongering’
  3. Don’t Hate, Isolate: ‘At Home’ Digital Choir Launched to Boost National Morale During Self-Isolation
  4. Don’t Hate, Isolate: Watch Comic’s Parody of Celebrities ‘Imagine’ Viral Video
  5. Don’t Hate, Isolate: Cat Shuts Down Owner’s Singing – Every Single Time
  6. Don’t Hate, Isolate: Black Rhino Numbers on a Delicate Rise
  7. Don’t Hate, Isolate: The Body Coach to Livestream Workouts Every Weekday Until Schools Reopen
  8. Don’t Hate, Isolate: Woman Forced To Self-Isolate With Hinge Date
  9. Don’t Hate, Isolate: 16 Tweets and TikToks to Get Your Through Quarantine
  10. Don’t Hate, Isolate: Britain’s Loneliest Dog Finally Gets Adopted
  11. Don’t Hate, Isolate: Southampton Volunteers Step Up to Assist Vulnerable Residents
  12. Don’t Hate, Isolate: Run For Heroes Are ‘Running’ Away With It
  13. Don’t Hate, Isolate: Southampton Student Engineers Aiding the NHS Frontline
  14. Don’t Hate, Isolate: Vulnerable Sea Turtles Return to Bay of Bengal Amid Indian Lockdown
  15. Don’t Hate, Isolate: Good News! James May is Hosting an Online Pub Quiz this Evening and You’re Invited

This article was written by somebody who is no longer active with Wessex Scene. If you wrote an article which is now associated with the archive account but would like your name credited, please contact us!